Despite themselves and their often inflated sense of self-importance, humans do a relatively good job of all getting along. That is, unless one of their contemporaries is proving to be an obstacle purely by performing the duties their employer has bestowed upon said ghastly hurdle.
Surely it is not too much to ask to appeal to the hurdle’s better nature and sense of fairness? Well, yes you can ask. Questions have a habit of providing unwelcome answers, however. And the wind cries Jobsworth.
Steev and Nick try and deconstruct the title of Jobsworth and the people who wield it. Learn about That’s Life!, porcelain hearts, The Great British Traffic Warden, supposed power trips, and who amongst us can genuinely claim to win at life.
Download Show 16 [MP3, 27.5 MB]
- “Your job’s worth more than you are” by BBC News; 10th January 2000
- According to Wikipedia: Points of View
- According to Wikipedia: The One Show
- According to Wikipedia: Traffic Warden
- The Traffic Warden Section
- According to Wikipedia: Leopoldo Galtieri
- The speculative Flora ad which stirred social media: “Flora’s social backlash spread over homophobic ad” by Stuart Lauchlan, Diginomica; 5th September 2013
- XKCD: Duty Calls
- IMDB: Glengarry Glen Ross
- YouTube: Glengarry Glen Ross—Blake’s speech ↓
- Recorded: 04 September 2013
- Running time: 0:59’59
- Bad language: Yes [6x f*ck; 1x sh*t; 1x tw*t; 1x ar*ehole; 2x b*llocks]
- Feature image source: http://www.woottontalks.co.uk/pastmasters39.asp
- Archive.org page